FINE & PERFORMING ARTS
The Fine Arts Department is inclusive of Visual Arts, Theater Arts, and both the Vocal and Instrumental Music programs. The Middle School program is required with the exception of performance. Middle School students take classes in all disciplines throughout their years in the school. The Upper School program is completely elective although the school requires that each student complete one Fine Arts credit to graduate.
We believe that the arts are important to the lives of everyone and that students must have the opportunity to experience the arts. Students should be encouraged to see the arts as a manifestation of the human experience and to relate their study of the arts to all other academic areas. Study of the arts promotes communication and self-expression. It is a study of how people interact with each other. The arts help us to become more discriminating. Just as students must acquire skills and tools in other academic disciplines, they can acquire measurable skills for the various art disciplines. The Fine Arts program provides our students with exposure to the arts and the opportunity to participate in a variety of artistic forms.
• Students will gain knowledge of aesthetics.
• Students will be able to respond appropriately to their aesthetic environment.
• Students will develop an understanding of the creative process as it is used in the production of a work of art.
• Students will learn the elements and language of the arts.
• Students will be able to describe ways of creating meaningful expressive effects through the manipulation of the elements.
• Students will have the opportunity to practice the skills of their chosen disciplines.
• Students will have the opportunity to exhibit or perform works of art in their disciplines.
• Students will understand how tools and materials can be used in the creation and refinement of ideas across the disciplines.
• Students will learn to be part of a respectful and appreciative audience through attendance at performances and exhibitions.
• Students will be able to make judgments about their own and other's works of art.