Please note: Procedures related to registration, iPads and technology set up (described below) will likely be modified according to our Health & Safety Plan for the 2020-2021 school year. Any changes will be communicated. At this time, please do fill out the survey so we are able to ensure items are available and ready to go for the start of school. Thank you for your cooperation!
All Perkiomen students will arrive on campus and go through the registration process, which is when they receive their Perkiomen School iPad if they do not bring one to campus. All students will be walked through the preliminary sign-in at that time. A more in-depth training session on how to use the iPad will occur for all students the next morning when they will meet with their teachers and advisors. Electronic books will be purchased at this time as well if students have not yet been able to download books.
Students are required to bring their iPad to all classes and comply with all school rules. The school will be using the iPads as teaching tools in every department. The iPad will function in so many different ways—source of information, access for educational apps, organizational tool, project creator, research and communication device, note taker, assessment tool, and even word processor if students want to use it that way. Computers are still available on campus, of course. This program allows students and faculty consistent and equal access to 21st century skills through use of the same platform and technology.
Students will use their iPad:
- to track assignments, homework and class projects
- to access the internet to research information needed for class projects
- to create on-line presentations
- to word process class papers and projects
- to run a variety of applications to enhance their learning experience in class
- to read electronic books, tests, newspapers and magazines
- Who gets an iPad?
- How will the School know how many students will need iPads?
- I already have an iPad. Will I be able to use that one?
- When will I first receive the iPad if I am not bringing one?
- Will there be any training on how to use the iPad?
- May I opt out of the iPad altogether?
- Who owns the iPad?
- What type of insurance is offered for the iPad?
- Should a student have extra insurance on the iPad?
- Will I have to buy a specific protective case?
- Can I install my own apps?
- If I use my own iPad, how will I get the correct apps and what will they cost?
- Will I get to keep the iPad?
- What happens if I leave Perkiomen School?
- Will all textbooks be in digital form next year?
- Textbooks will be available in an electronic version next year. What about novels that are required reading in some classes?
- How do I purchase content for the iPad?
- I understand that I will need access to an iTunes account to use with the iPad. Don't iTunes accounts require a credit card?
- Won't the iPad be a distraction in class? Will the students play games in class or go on social media instead of staying on task?
- If the iPad has to be sent off for repair, will I be at a disadvantage in class?
- Do students get to take the iPads with them during the summer?